Skip to main content




Planning work- or research-related travel outside of Canada?

Here's what you need to know
July 22, 2021
By Monica E. Mulrennan and William Cheaib

Dear colleagues,

At the onset of the pandemic in spring 2020 and in keeping with public health directives, Concordia advised all members of its community against travelling internationally for any purpose.

With the rollout of COVID-19 vaccine campaigns in recent months and the subsequent easing of some public health restrictions, international travel is now permitted. As a result, we would like to take this opportunity to remind faculty, staff and graduate students of some key information related to university travel outside of Canada.

When to seek approval

Staff intending to travel outside of Canada for official university business must receive prior authorization from their supervisor.

As in the past, faculty members continue to be required to inform their Department Chair if the intended travel conflicts with teaching or service responsibilities.

Exceptionally and until further notice: faculty, postdoctoral students, graduate students and research personnel who wish to conduct research fieldwork outside of Canada must complete a request for Continuing Essential Field Research Activities. (This measure is in response to ongoing uncertainties and concerns about the pandemic globally, and may eventually be discontinued if/when the global situation improves.) Note that the Field Research Request Form does not apply to conferences, meetings, or conducting archival research.

If graduate student travel is part of an academic exchange program with a partner university, the student must contact Concordia International.

Travel registry strongly encouraged

As a key element of supporting the safety of members of the Concordia community while abroad, we strongly encourage any Concordian travelling outside of Canada on university business to register their trip in the International Travel Registry.

The registry is accessible by logging on to the MyConcordia portal and choosing “International Travel Registry” from within the lefthand menu.

The registry allows the university to know where Concordia employees or students are when travelling outside of Canada on Concordia business, and to be in a position to provide emergency assistance if needed.

The registry is not intended for student athletes traveling for university sporting events, individuals travelling on holiday, or for friends and/or family members who may be accompanying faculty, staff or students while travelling outside of Canada.

Where to get more information

Faculty, staff and students are strongly advised to monitor the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 travel restrictions and requirements before they make any travel plans.

More information is available on Concordia’s Travel Safety website, which is managed by the university’s Security team.

Thanks in advance for your collaboration and support,

Monica E. Mulrennan
Associate Vice-President, Research
Office of the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies

William Cheaib
Chief of Staff and Associate Vice-President, International
Office of the President

© Concordia University